San Bernardino Office
550 E. Hospitality Lane, Suite 300
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Tel: (909) 890-4499
Fax: (909) 890-9877
- Land Use
- J.D., Paciﬁc McGeorge School of Law, With Distinction
- M.S., Real Estate, Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., Accounting, Brigham Young University
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
DEREK R. HOFFMAN
Derek Hoffman is an experienced water resources attorney. He represents clients in some of the largest and most complex groundwater basin adjudications in California, including the Antelope Valley, Mojave Basin Area, and the Indian Wells Valley. His practice includes guiding clients through implementation of California’s Sustainable Groundwater Management Act and other state and federal natural resources laws. He assists clients in developing and implementing effective strategies to obtain, maintain, protect and transfer water rights and supplies.
Derek is an active member of the California water law community. He speaks and writes frequently on water-related topics. He is an Editorial Board Member and author for the California Water Law & Policy Reporter. He is a member of the Groundwater Resources Association of California and serves as Secretary-Treasurer for the CalWaterPAC.
He also practices in the areas of business and real estate and is a member of the California Association of Realtors Legal Affairs Forum. Outside the office, Derek and his family enjoy the many year-round outdoor activities that Southern California uniquely offers.
- Editorial Board Member, California Water Law & Policy Reporter
- Contributing Author, Western Water Law & Policy Reporter
- Contributing Author, California Land Use Law and & Policy Reporter
- California Lawyer, Expert Advice – Comprehensive Groundwater Adjudications: New Rules of Engagement for Resolving Groundwater Disputes (callawyer.com, March 2016)
- Groundwater Resources Association of California
- California Association of Realtors Legal Aﬀairs Forum
- Mitsubishi Cement Corporation Educational Foundation
- Riverside County Bar Association
- San Bernardino County Bar Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Speaker, 2021 California Water Law & Policy Conference, Indian Wells Valley: A Case Study of Complex Groundwater Management and Adjudication Issues in the SGMA Era
- Speaker, 2019 California Water Law & Policy Conference, The Price of Water? Water and the Nasdaq
- Speaker, 2018 California Water Law & Policy Conference, Will They Make It by 2020? GSP Development in California’s Critically Overdrafted Groundwater Basins
- Speaker, 2017 California Water Law & Policy Conference, Emerging Topics in SGMA Implementation
- Speaker, 2016 California Water Law & Policy Conference, Navigating SGMA Implementation – Insights and Experiences in Achieving True GSA Representation for Private Pumper Interests: Negotiate, Adjudicate, or Both?
- Speaker, 2016 National Business Institute, California Water Rights Evaluations
- Speaker, 2014 California Association of Clerks & Election Oﬃcials New Law Conference, What Happens When CEQA Documents are Improperly Filed, Not Properly Noticed or Filed Too Late?
- Speaker, 2014 California Water Law & Policy Conference, Reconfiguring Infrastructure: The Sites and San Luis Reservoir Proposals
Mr. Hoffman represents a wide range of clients including mining entities, mutual water companies, real estate developers, agricultural operators, cemeteries, landowners, golf courses, water districts and other entities in transactional, litigation and advisory roles involving water rights and resources. He also advises clients in business and real estate matters.
San Bernardino, CA
550 E. Hospitality Lane
San Bernardino, CA 92408
San Diego, CA
401 West A Street
San Diego, CA 92101